About northern pike fishing
Every week there are stories of walleye fishermen losing walleyes to a big, hungry, northern pike! You may not catch many very large pike in our lake ( Kipawa ) but because of our customers doing mainly catch and release on them we have noticed a lot more large and very large pike beeing caught every year now. Every years we see on photos and hear about monster pikes that were caught at our lodge and everywhere on lake Kipawa . Each year pike over 20 pounds are caught. Fish the shallow bays early in the season and the main lake rocky shores later in the summer and fall.
What Should I Bring for Pike Fishing?
- Large red/white and yellow/red spoons such as Dardevles 3″ or longer.
- Large spinner baits work well – tandems for shallows, heavy singles for deep stuff.
- Large jointed minnow lures such as #13 Rapalas in “Clown” or “Firetiger”.
- Plastic-skirted jigs with plastic trailers are good for probing drop-offs.
- Chartreuse and other bright colors are favorites.
What About Rods and Reels for Pike Fishing?
- Medium to medium-heavy spinning and baitcasting gear works well.